9/17/2014

Narrative 6

Grandma B.’s myopia

I remember my grandmother B., my mother’s mother, was very, very, very shortsighted. I always wondered how she managed to do her daily chores with disabilities like that.

I never knew what color her eyes were and even what was like her look without her glasses.

I also remember my uncle Ti-P, when he played cards with my grandmother, took advantage of it to cheat because my grandmother did not see the cards we put on the table: we had to tell her what was played.

Because of his extreme myopia, my grandmother has always been someone special to me, fascinating. She seemed very sweet and very docile. But in reality… -I learnt it many years later after she died- she was very dominant, strong-willed, tough and often controlling- castrating! The "granny" I imagined was, indeed, a fierce lioness with gentle eyes. What thwart all its prey!

It was said that my grandfather was the eyes of my grandmother, and my grandmother was his legs. But that's another story...






No comments:

Post a Comment